Here’s something to kind of bring the tone up from yesterday.
LIST YOUR HIGHS AND LOWS OF THIS PAST YEAR
I’ll be going from May 2016 – May 2017, just in case anyone’s wondering why I didn’t include anything from January-May 2016.
Let’s get the lows out of the way first, I think, and then we can end on a positive. Also, I’m immediately thinking of way more positives than negatives.
- Brexit. Why, Britain, whyyy.
- Trump. I’m not kidding, the morning the results were announced Umby came to give me a kiss before work and I asked him who won and he just said “… you should probably just go back to sleep.”
- Leaving my second year house. It was to move in with Umby so that really balanced it out, but I loved living there – the house itself was pretty dire but the people made it great. It always had such a good atmosphere.
- Receiving my final student loan payment with £400 less than expected after Student Finance pulled a fast one and changed the amount I was entitled without telling me. Asked them “hey, what the hell” and they basically told me I was shit out of luck, which sucked.
- The usual ever-present fear of bombing uni at the last minute (though I did just get some good marks back, so).
- So … so much stress over uni work, and what comes next, and money.
Other than that, though, I’m actually having a really hard time thinking of anything that really, really sucked. Let’s just get on to the good stuff!
- Had my first and second anniversary (May 14th) with Umby! Our second one was the day we came back from Portugal, which was super cute. We had McDonalds AND pizza because why the heck not.
- I also moved in with Umby back in July, and it’s the best decision I could’ve made.
- Umby and me also had our first holiday together back in September – we spent a long weekend in Cornwall and then a week up in Newcastle together, and it was So Good.
- Pokémon Sun/Moon came out right around the time I was writing my dissertation, so you can imagine how that went for me. (Listen, though, I managed to get my first draft out before the game was delivered so I could play it guilt free.)
- Also, I wrote a creative dissertation AND a dissertation essay and got both handed in early. That’s crazy. The creative dissertation is also the longest creative thing I’ve ever written.
- One of my 2015 Christmas presents from my parents was to go to a bird of prey sanctuary and hang out with owls for a day. We went in August and it was so good, my dudes. Owls are awesome.
- I worked full time over the summer and made a real decent amount of money as well as getting good experience. I don’t think I would’ve got through this final year financially speaking if I hadn’t had that job, so I super appreciate it.
- Went to my first Comic-Con in October, and while I was there for work with the University it was still super cool to experience it. I’m going with a big group of friends this weekend and I’m cosplaying as Taako from The Adventure Zone. I can’t wait!
- Went to the London premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2, which was SO good.
- Started writing film news for Casual Critic UK, who were responsible for me going to the premiere!
- Portugal! That was so good!
- My third visit to the Warner Bros. Studio Tour in London! I always love being there.
So, yeah. Lots of very good stuff, most of it Umby-related, this past year and hopefully there will be plenty more to come. I haven’t had any huge personal blows this year – it’s mostly just stuff that’s happened in the world that’s had me bummed out. Still, that’s a good thing in itself!
I’ll be back tomorrow with a post about books, so keep an eye out for that.